February 7, 2010

Interview Series #4: Josh

We first hit up our fellow groom Josh in October of 2009 and tossed him a few questions as he was in the final planning stages of his New England wedding. That was the last time we heard from Josh...

...until this morning.

We assumed that he'd evaporated ... or thought perhaps that he was aboard a FedEx airliner that had crashed somewhere in the Pacific, leaving him stranded on a desert island so small that it wouldn't be picked up by any modern-day global positioning system device, forcing him to build intimate relationships with bloodied sporting goods.

Turns out that he was in central New York. Josh was sucked into the world of wedding planning, forced to complete torturous tasks like helping with seating charts, confirming plus ones and picking up out-of-towners at the airport, all in the week prior to the wedding. As you'll notice, the details of his disappearance have been blacked out by certain unnamed parties, particularly his bride and her so-called bridesmaids.

Kudos to Josh for enduring the unendurable. And for stopping by with some groomly wisdom.

---

SO WHEN AND WHERE WAS THIS SHINDIG? AND WHY THE HELL WEREN'T WE INVITED?
The wedding was in Cooperstown in NY. Just about three months ago. And had I any part of the decision-making process, you definitely would have been there with me. 

AWW. SO WHAT WAS "JOSH'S CONTRIBUTION" TO THE WEDDING, IF ANYTHING...?
Anything technology based fell into my court. I made a photo slide show and cut together a video compilation of famous movie kisses for our reception. I also put together the programs ... don't know how I got bamboozled into that one. Spent three full days at Kinko's, then bribed a bunch of friends with food and booze to tie ribbons around the things.

To anyone getting table cards and the like printed up: I would suggest having the programs done the same way. It definitely did not feel worth the hassle in the final sprint. But the fact that I got it done on time scored me some major Groom Points with mother-in-law. In-law points are good.

IN-LAW POINTS ARE GOLDEN. HOW DID YOU GET PUMPED FOR THE BIG DAY?
My groomsmen and I kicked it off with some whiskey while we were getting ready. I drank wine during the reception, then moved back to whiskey for the after party. Come to think of it, I indulged all day and all night, yet the all too familiar effects of alcohol never kicked in. My new theory is that -- on the day you get married -- you're impervious to booze. What a gyp!

ANY BOWTIE ACTION?
I went with the tie-tie. Old schooled it with a clip-on. 

VEST OR NO VEST? 
Got to go vest in my opinion. The jacket will eventually come off, as will the tie, so you might as well rock the studs and suspenders. The more layers of classy accoutrement, the more you maximize the Rat Pack cool without trying vibe and minimize the partied out at your own wedding ... vibe.

IDEAL WEDDING ENTERTAINMENT?  
If the White Stripes had played my wedding, I'd still be smiling about it.

AS WOULD WE. ACTUAL WEDDING ENTERTAINMENT? 
We had a great band called City Rhythm. They kept the party amped the whole time and were very cool about letting me sit in for a song. Naturally, I rocked out on the drums during Mustang Sally.  

NATURALLY. SO WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST OFFICIAL ACT OF HUSBANDRY? 
Whoa-whoa-whoa, let's keep this clean, Madman...

I'd totally had planned on carrying my new wife over the threshold when we got home. And I totally forgot. I was bushed. I guess I'll have to save that move for when we buy our first home.  

YOU'RE A CLASS ACT, JOSH. NOW - ANY TIPS FOR ALL THE FRESH-FACED GROOMS OUT THERE? 
Getting married is like being really famous in a world composed only of people whom you love the most, so live it up. Give the people what they want. And have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment