It wasn't until we'd come to the devastating end of our second match that I realized that Justin was throwing the games. He was bowling below average -- aiming for 6's and 7's, ne'er a spare in sight -- just to keep his Groom on the up. When I mentioned soon after what a "nail biter" this was, he began throwing with his left hand. This man knows his roll well.
And brides -- feel comforted. A Best Man who takes a dive on the lanes is the same Best Man who will keep us grooms sober, in-line, buttons aligned and laces tied when the time comes.
According to Wikipedia, above is a "Bride kidnapping in Central Asia, circa 1870."
Too, know that a well-trained best man with worldly training can possess these qualities taken from traditional best-man-hood-dom:
- defend the groom from would-be kidnappers
- defend the bride from would-be kidnappers (much more common)
- cough up the ransom should the bride (or groom) be kidnapped
- entertain the guests, sometimes for several hours, with jokes, riddles and haikus while the ransom is being collected
- restore order
- remind the bride how right she is
- remind the groom how little he matters in the big picture
But in the rare case that there's a rough patch (wherever it may be, whether it's mid-haiku or what-have-you), know that there's another someone there to provide back-up.