October 18, 2009

Dynamic

2E's and I will soon be heading to New York to attend a friend's wedding (I'll be sure to take and share some behind-the-scenes pics) and scope out our own wedding venues. But our first item of business is our classic New York engagement shoot with wedding photojournalist Noah Devereaux.

A pirate theme would be our ideal option for the shoot. I'd love to rent a pirate ship for the afternoon, bobbing there on the west bank of Manhattan. 2E's would be the damsel in distress, and I would double as both the bad pirate and the good pirate with perhaps a twirling mustache to distinguish the two. At the end of the shoot, she and I would either (a) leap off of the plank into the Hudson, or (b) we would hire a few actors and reenact that scene from The Goonies. She could be that blonde chick. I could be late-teens Josh Brolin.

But the whole pirate ship concoction sunk when we realized we don't have a week of prep or a $3 million dollar budget. We're settling instead for a walk around Dumbo with two umbrellas and a costume change. And a scheduled stop at Starbucks. Hoo-rah.

Most important to me, I've realized, is not the big production value or the mustache (although facial hair is very me). What's more important is that the photos capture our dynamic. Aside from being my better half, 2E's has always been the sunshine behind my dark humor. At dinner with friends, she's the bubbly retort to my sly sarcasm. At home, she's the good intention behind my bad jokes. That's who we are now. That's what being engaged is all about: realizing that you're one half (even if it's the lesser half) of a very dynamic duo.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my god. Can I PLEASE play Chunk? I'll do the truffle shuffle as you walk down the aisle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

    ReplyDelete