October 6, 2009

Interview Series #1: Steve

To celebrate the fall season, I'll be conducting a series of interviews with grooms I've encountered along the way ... asking them the hard questions, getting the hard answers, and then broadcasting it live (well, not live) here on this blog. 

Our first contestant is Steve, an actor from New York who is less than two months from the big plunge. We sat down with Steve (we meaning me, and sat down meaning called him late last night) and asked him to bare all.

He didn't. But here's what he did tell us:


STEVE! BRING US UP TO SPEED ... DATE? PLACE? CHICKEN OR BEEF?
November 15th at the Hollyhedge Estate in New Hope, PA. And the menu does not include either one of them! We are going vegetarian/ vegan. No animals were harmed in the making of this wedding, and there will still be amazing delicious food!  




BALLSY! HOW DID YOU AND YOUR 2E'S TACKLE THE PLANNING PROCESS?
2E's finds something she loves and dives into it. 1E (me) needs time to think, process, make sure it'll work (and work well). I have more of the organizational mindset while she excels at the artistic/creative/visual side of things.

HIT ANY MAJOR HITCHES ALONG THE WAY?
Things got a little heated sometimes, but not always between us. When it involves decisions that include everyone -- Lindsay, myself, my family, her family, even our friends -- you're bound to hit a disagreement over something. Overall, though, it's been a smooth ride with only a few stressful issues that have popped up and then been resolved (fingers crossed).   

NOW THAT YOU'RE HERE, CAN YOU SPELL BOUTONNIERES FOR US?
Well, the b-o-u-t-o-n-n-i-รจ-r-e-s (Ah! With the accent mark! And I'm using it in a sentence!) are going to look very, very nice and feature my favorite color, orange. 

A+. NOW, ANY PLANS FOR BEFORE THE WEDDING? POKER BRUNCH?
Nothing definite yet. We have the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner the day before, which is also one of my best men's birthdays, so some more celebration will be in order.  I have a feeling the boys and I will be going old school and laser tagging.  

GOOD CHOICE. MAKE ANY UNIQUE REQUESTS FOR THE WEDDING? GOING COMMANDO UNDER THE PENGUIN SUIT?
Oh man.  Was I supposed to?  I feel everything is kinda normal.  Fun normal though.  That's our style.  A little crazy, but not toooooo crazy. We have an awesome jazz/swing band, a photo booth ... but I believe we'll all be wearing underwear ... I will be, at least (fingers still crossed).

PREDICTING ANY INTERESTING MOMENTS AT THE RECEPTION? FOOD FIGHTS?
No food fights. The food there is going to be so delicious (and paid for in advance) that it better be devoured by every single person in the house. I do have a feeling that the five-hour premium open bar is going to be a hot spot. I hope my bride doesn't spend too much time there. I guess my prediction for an interesting moment would involve that.

IDEAL FIRST DANCE SONG:
Don't Stop Believin' with a choreographed dance would have been amazing. How about a whole Journey medley while we're at it. Definite YouTube material.

ACTUAL FIRST DANCE SONG:
Feels Like Home, written by Randy Newman and perfected by Bonnie Raitt. At our wedding, it will be further perfected by Lindsay's sister, Whitney.

BE HONEST WITH US ... HOW'S THE NERVE FACTOR? 1 TO 10?
Honestly, it's low. Maybe a 2 or 3 at the highest. I just want to get to the special day. All this planning and waiting is getting to me. I would just love to marry Lindsay ASAP. Although the nerve factor could change over the next couple of weeks ... I'm hoping I can keep it together on the day. You have faith in me, right?

UM, SURE WE DO STEVE. SO ... WHAT WILL BE YOUR FIRST OFFICIAL ACT OF HUSBANDRY?
That is none of your business. Whatever happens in New Hope stays in New Hope.  Don't come knocking on our Honeymoon Suite door because neither of us will be answering it.

LOUD AND CLEAR. ANY TIPS FOR ALL THE FRESH-FACED GROOMS OUT THERE?
Lindsay and I have been together FOR-EV-ER.  Our engagement was for a little over a year and a half and, lemme tell ya, it really has kept the stress level down.  We knew we were going to get married, so the time factor wasn't a huge issue, and the length of it allowed us to save up, do a first set of planning, a second set, scrap whatever we didn't like and bring in new things - all without the mad rush. So give yourselves time. It'll pay off in the end.

SMART ADVICE. ANY OTHER MATRIMONIAL ANECDOTES?
If you're short on kitchen equipment, find someone and get married.  You'll stock up in no time. Haha. No, seriously.

The process is fun, challenging and frustrating all at the same time, but I can't wait for the final product. It's going to be beautiful. And I am going to be a married man. Believe it, Madman.

Oh, and P.S. -- if someone coming to the wedding asks about bringing McDonalds to the reception because they're not interested in eating the food provided ... laugh. Just laugh. And make it a good, hearty one.



Photographs provided by Joanna Wilson Photography

1 comment: